Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Review: Scribble


(I'm busy editing the newest issue of The Edge of the Forest which will be up in a couple of hours. It's a truly fun issue and I can't wait to share it with you. In the meantime, I bring you a mom review.)

This review was written by Alice Herold.

What a delightful book Scribble is! I can hear the voices of Emma and Lucie ringing in my ears as they yell "I'm telling!" to their mother.

Their mother is author and illustrator, Deborah Freedman. Emma and Lucie had been drawing peacefully, but, alas, it was the calm before the storm, because Emma criticizes her younger sister's drawing of a kitty. (The kitty has no ears.) Lucie is so mad, she scribbles all over Emma's beautiful drawing of a princess. (Does this scene sound familiar?) Suddenly, the drawing of the cat, Scribble, comes to life and ventures into Emma's princess drawing. He meets the princess, falls in love, and wants to rescue her from the tangled mess of Lucie's scribbles. Read to discover how Lucie saves Emma's drawing, Scribble, and the princess.

Sound intriguing? This is a completely original book. I loved every bit of it, including the photo of the author's daughters dressed like a princess and a cat. Was Halloween night the inspiration for this adorable book?


=============

Other Blog Reviews:

Curled Up Kids
A Fuse #8
Hypothetically Speaking
Just One More Book
Just One More Book interview with Deborah Freedman and Mary Ann Hoberman

(If I've missed your review, please let me know.)