Wednesday, January 09, 2008

An Award: Pens and Pencils

You know, the January Carnival of Children's Literature is fast approaching (deadline January 18; details here at Wizards Wireless, our host). The theme is awards and I've got nothing. I've been working my tail off with the Cybils, so haven't had time to process this year's experience (great) yet. Time to make something up!

Yesterday's delicious notebook discussion has inspired me to make up an award on the fly. And here's the deal: your candidate WILL win, 'cause this award is an award you give. That's right, I want you to present an award to your favorite writing instrument--either in a post of your own or in the comments.

I'm going to give two awards:

1) Writing instrument I use for writing anything longer than one paragraph: The Waterman Ici & la pen in blue. This is Waterman's least expensive and, most importantly, sleekest pen. It fits nicely in my hand and glides over the page. Even though the nib is "fine," it's still a fountain pen, so it has a nice thick line. I prefer the blue-black ink.

2) Writing instrument I use for brief notes and for editing typeface: The Pentel Twist-Erase .9mm lead automatic pencil.

Oh, how I love this pencil! I always have one on me and it never fails to inspire. Because its lead is .9mm, it doesn't break when I write and its squishy barrel is actually comfortable in my hand. I prefer the navy (not pictured), but will use the black and red in a pinch. Colors seem to be limited in the .9mm range. You .5mm folk have all the luck. Needless to say, I like the 2B lead. I like a dark line.

So. Which writing instruments would you award for their faithful service and why? Tell me more. I just can't get enough of the writing supplies.