Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Out and about

I'm trying to stay upbeat here in Smalltown. The local news just informed me that we've had over 40 inches of snow this season (12 of them last night, I think) and it isn't over yet. Internet was out most of the day as well, and the kids? Well, I think they'll be in school until mid-June at this point.

Anyway, I thought I'd check in with a round up of interesting links I've found in my inbox:

Looking to teach your kids about money? Then check out this list of Nine Money Books from SavingAdvice.com.

Give this fascinating article (by Laura T. Ryan) on children's writing during the McCarthy era a read at The Syracuse Post Standard. The article is in response to a new book called Tales for Little Rebels: A Radical Children's Literature Anthology, by Philip Nel and Julia Mickenberg.

Our friend Robin Brande and her cool organization (with Nathan Fillion [actor], PJ Haarsma, and Frank Beddor)--Kids Need to Read--make the Shakesville blog today.

Now I'm off to enjoy my favorite television show of all time--Project Runway. It was not on last week, so I'm especially anxious not to miss it today. I'm just hoping Sweet P--my favorite contestant based on personality alone--won't be out today. Go, Sweet P! (If we're talking about design, I think I'd have to vote for Jillian.)