Sunday, September 25, 2005

A Request for Help

I received the following request last night and because it came from somone I recognize (who writes for my favorite bookblog, Bookslut) and it is a nicely organized way for anyone to help children displaced by Katrina, I'm going to post it.

Colleen Mondor writes, "I am trying to build support for donations down South. I am currently working with a group in Baton Rouge to help some children displaced by Hurricane Katrina. Josh Causey and his group at Parkview Baptist Church are spending their time with children sheltered with their families at Southern University. They are doing arts and crafts, playing games and reading books. The program is expanding to other shelters and includes after school tutoring. I have set up wishlists for the kids at Amazon, but I'm hoping that authors, illustrators, reviewers and comic creators and publishers will also consider donating a few titles. The children cover all ages and all interests - at this point, I think they would be thrilled with any gift. "

Colleen has put together two amazon wish lists--one for books and one for games. Check them out and make a donation if you can. Sounds like they're doing great work with the kids. If you'd like to send something directly, here is the mailing address:

Josh Causey
Parkview Baptist Church
11795 jefferson highway
Baton Rouge, LA 70816