Sunday, October 09, 2005

What's With This Room?


New from Little, Brown and Company--What's With This Room?

Tom Lichtenheld's newest picture book tackles that age-old problem of the messy room. We're dealing with that problem today. The rooms get cleaned up or no 4:30 showing of Wallace & Grommit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit.

What's with this Room? is told from beleaguered parents' point-of-view and begins: "Your stuff and your things/are in such disarray,/we just can't believe/you live here this way./Your shoes in a pile,/your shirts in a bunch,/and there in that corner,/is that yesterday's lunch?"

There's underwear, monsters, fungus and spores, and a variety of creatures. On my favorite page, the child explains he's prepping an archeological dig: "Those clothes aren't heaped up just because I'm a pig,/I'm actually creating an archeological dig./In a couple of years I'll give you a chance/to dig and discover my petrified pants." The illustration accompanying this text is great. The child sits in a lawn chair above layers of clothing labeled "kindergarten, 1st Grade, 2nd Grade, 3rd Grade."

Time to get those kids organized. My closet could use some work too (sigh).