The "awards" are selected by children's booksellers and they move beyond "favorite book of the year." (The Penderwicks is a clear favorite as book of the year amongst the booksellers.)
Here are some of the more unique categories and the winners:
- Favorite Book to Handsell The Lightning Thief ("because every customer between nine and 14 can't be wrong")Honorable mention: Golden & Grey (An Unremarkable Boy and a Rather Remarkable Ghost) by Louise Arnold ("it's so nice and easy to explain, and almost sells itself")
- Book We Couldn't Shut Up About The Penderwicks Honorable mentions: Criss Cross; The Scarecrow and His Servant; The Lightning Thief
- Book We Wish Everyone Would Shut Up About Celebrity books ("I try not to openly cringe when customers ask for them") Honorable mentions: The Rainbow Party by Paul Ruditis ("Just get over it already!"); Walter the Farting Dog by William Kotzwinkle et al.
- Most Overdone Subjects Bedtime; passing gas; dinosaurs; celebrity books ("when will it end??")
- Most Unusual Complaint from a Customer "Regarding the Walter the Farting Dog books: 'I'm all for farting critters, but I didn't like the father!' " "A customer returned Richard Scarry's A Day at the Airport because of the bratwurst balloon at the end. The customers were vegetarians and said that the book displayed 'a gratuitous use of meat.' "" 'Too fun—I want educational!' This from a grandmother I showed some horse books for her granddaughter. It was for a Christmas present! What a fun Grandma to have."
I love the bratwurst comment! Too funny.