Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Another gosh-darned list

Well, at least this one's an excerpt from the book 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. (For a review of 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die, check out this entry from The Literary Saloon.)

In any case, of this selection of 25, there are only a few I'd put on my must-read list. They are:
  • The Secret Agent, Joseph Conrad
  • Ulysses, James Joyce
  • Vile Bodies, Evelyn Waugh (this one is on my personal top-ten list)
  • Frankenstein, Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
  • A Farewell To Arms, Ernest Hemingway
  • Their Eyes were Watching God, Zora Neale Hurston

There were others on the list I liked (A Prayer for Owen Meany, Unless, A Boy's Own Story, but I'm not sure they are must reads for everyone before they die!)

I can't tell from the Scotsman article whether their selections were random or not, but, still, a pretty strange list.