Thursday, June 22, 2006

Jealousy Sets In

There's been much hoopla in the U.K. about the Children's Party at Buckingham Palace on Sunday to celebrate the Queen's 80th birthday.

Here's a link to the best short article I could find about the party: Caroline Davies reports for the Telegraph about the event.

Who will attend to read and talk to the lucky invitees? None other than J.K. Rowling, Philip Pullman, Raymond Briggs, and other well-known writers. What does Pullman have to say about the event and his reading?

  • "'I am going to be in the author's tent and talking to children and I'm going to be reading, though I haven't decided what.
    We've each got five minutes. The trouble is I write such long books. A poet can come on, do a couple of poems and off they go.
    But I have to choose something that is just five minutes long from several thousands of pages.'"

Whatever he chooses, I'm sure it will be magical. Color me green, folks!