Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Irving and King plea with Rowling

I love this story! Claudia Parsons reports for Reuters that John Irving and Stephen King beg J.K. Rowling not to kill Harry.

Here's her response:

"Asked about the wisdom of killing off fictional characters, Rowling said she didn't enjoy killing the major character who died in book six -- for the sake of those who haven't read it yet she avoided naming the victim -- but she said the conventions of the genre demanded the hero go on alone."

At least she didn't enjoy it, I guess. I was pretty devastated myself.

Rowling continued, "'I understand why an author would kill a character from the point of view of not allowing others to continue writing after the original author is dead...'"

A Fuse #8 was within three blocks today. I would have enjoyed this event very much, I think. King and Irving were my YA reading.