Wednesday, September 27, 2006

BBW Review: The Giver



Ummm...The Giver was the fourteenth-most-challenged book of 1990-2000?

I admit I had to resort to some lazy researching (see: google, wikipedia) to find out why. Nothing struck me as potentially troubling to "concerned" adults at all.

So here's the scoop from wikipedia: "The novel's depiction of suicide, euthanasia, and infanticide are typically cited as concerns." One parent involved in a 2005 challenge (Missouri) had this to say: "The lady writes well, but when it comes to the ideas in that book, they have no place in my kid's head." Well, then, that explains it. I'm sure Lois Lowry appreciates the compliment.

In any case, as The Giver has been reviewed everywhere and there are numerous teaching guides available, I'll just share why I'm glad I chose this book as one of my Banned Books Week reads:

  • I really enjoy a good dystopian read now and then. Dystopias remind you to keep up the fight, to remember that good intentions for the community can sometimes go way too far. Dystopias remind you to always question authority. Even if you are happy with the status quo.
  • The Giver is an excellent gateway novel. Next up: We, 1984, and Brave New World.
  • The power, the pain, and the beauty of memory are so viscerally portrayed in The Giver. You can't have the beauty without the pain. The fact that one person must store and experience the memories of a community is horrifying.
  • Lowry's characterization is outstanding. Jonah is perfectly believable as he moves from content with his community, through gradual understanding, to escape. The Giver is a great character; it's clear the community made a mistake when selecting him, not Jonah or Rosemary, for the role of Receiver. He is simply unable to cause pain. Receive it, but not Give it.

In short, The Giver is highly recommended for kids ages 8 and up and I can see why it has become a classic, even if I don't understand the challenges. On to Athletic Shorts.

------------------------------------------

More: Kids and teachers discuss Banned Books Week in Buffalo, NY.