Tuesday, October 10, 2006

While Waiting for the National Book Award shortlists...

...the Quills have been announced. And, just let me say, this is the last time I will ever make mention of them. Why? Well, here are the winners in each category.
  • Children's Illustrated Book. If You Give a Pig a Party, by Laura Joffe Numeroff, illustrated by Felicia Bond. First one was cute, the rest...not so much. They're okay, they're fun, but aren't there more innovative titles out there this year?
  • Children's Chapter Book/Middle Grade. The Penultimate Peril, Lemony Snicket. Alright, whatever. These books are fun. They're great for kids. I'm sure I would have loved them at age 10. They're smart, have great vocabulary (and lessons), but, seriously, #12 in a series is the best middle grade novel of the year? I don't think so.
  • Young Adult/Teen. Eldest, Christopher Paolini. AAARRGH!!!!! Punctuation can NOT express why this novel could have possibly been better than any of the others nominated in this category. Seriously. From this moment on...

...I'm ignoring these awards.