Saturday, November 11, 2006

Movie Recommendation: Flushed Away



The youngest and I finally got a chance to watch Flushed Away this weekend, and it was wonderful. It's great looking, hilarious, and the characters are compelling without being obnoxious. After a year of mediocre animated children's movies (Barnyard, Open Season, Cars), check this one out. I have a really hard time reviewing movies, so I'm just going to tell you what I especially liked in this movie.
  • Flushed Away is an Aardman Animations Production and it shows, even though Aardman's clay creatures are absent. Somehow the animation in Flushed Away resembles the trademark clay.
  • This movie is FUNNY. To kids and adults. The slugs populating the sewer world are especially riotous.
  • The movie was touching without being sappy. When the main hero realizes he doesn't have a family and is missing out because of it, he doesn't run away or have a wise elderly type advise him. He simply takes action. Finally!
  • All the creatures--from toads, to rats, to slugs, to tadpoles with teeth--are cute, cute, cute.

I can't wait to see Flushed Away again.

On a related note, I highly recommend giving Santa Claus 3 a pass.