Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Stolen memory meme

Gail Gauthier has a great meme up today. As she hasn't tagged anyone, I've decided to borrow it.

1. How old were you when you learned to read and who taught you?

My mom says I was two, but everyone else says that's an exaggeration. I know I was reading fluently by the time I was in school.

2. Did you own any books as a child? If so, what’s the first one that you remember owning? If not, do you recall any of the first titles that you borrowed from the library?

The first books I really remember were the Little Golden Books. They sold them at our grocery store and, if we were good, our parents would let us chose one from time to time. We also went to the library at least once a week. The Pokey Little Puppy is the first book I remember.

3. What’s the first book that you bought with your own money?

Hmmm...I'm not sure. Probably a Steven King novel when I was about 12.

4. Were you a re-reader as a child? If so, which book did you re-read most often?

Absolutely! Like Gail, I loved Little Men. (But not Little Women.) I also read The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles, The Secret Language, A Wrinkle in Time, and Little House in the Big Woods many, many times each. Oh, and Enid Blyton's Malory Towers series.

5. What’s the first adult book that captured your interest and how old were you when you read it?

Agatha Christie was my gateway author. I began reading her books when I was ten. I also read Daphne Du Maurier at about that time. My Cousin Rachel was my favorite book for many years.

6. Are there children’s books that you passed by as a child that you have learned to love as an adult? Which ones?

I can think of two: Watership Down and Peter Pan. Talking animals upset me as a child, and I thought Peter was just too mean.

Steal away, my friends!

ETA: I just discovered who created this meme. The wonderful Kate S. of Kate's Book Blog wrote the meme herself (and has great answers).