Monday, January 08, 2007

I'm back!

I'm back in Smalltown and my computer problems have been resolved. The hard drive survived!

It's going to take me awhile to dig out--especially from Forest and Carnival submissions. In the meantime, check out this article by Peter Mandel in the Chicago Tribune. Turns out The Cat in the Hat is no longer current. Here's the setup:
  • "You may know that Dr. Seuss' real name was Theodor Geisel. But bet you didn't know this: The Cat in the Hat could not be published today. Repeat: It couldn't make the cut....For starters, anyone need a reminder on the basic premise here? Two little kids of maybe 6 or 7 are being harassed by a large, threatening animal and its accomplices. Worse, the two have been left for an entire day without adult supervision. 'Sally and I did not know what to say. Our mother was out of the house for the day.' Get the cops. Bring in a social worker and quick."