Friday, March 09, 2007

Poetry Friday

This week's Poetry Friday entry is "Le Chat," by Charles Baudelaire. I'm quoting part two of the poem, in translation by Geoffrey Wagner. The poem in its entirity can be seen here.

From its fair and dark fur
Comes a scent so gentle,
that one night I was caught in its balm,
by having Caressed it once, only once.

It is the familiar spirit of the place;
It judges, presides, inspires
Everything in its empire;
It is perhaps a fairy or a god?

When my eyes, drawn like a magnet
To this cat that I love,
Come meekly back again
And I look inside myself,

I see with amazement
The fire of its pale pupils,
Clear beacons, living opals,
Looking at me fixedly.
=============================
On with the roundup!

Anne joins the party this week with "Cynthia in the Snow," by Gwendolyn Brooks. I share your pain, Anne. It will soon be over.

Elaine is in with another stunner of a post--this time a review of Valerie Worth's Animal Poems.

Franki reviews Shout! Little Poems that Roar at A Year of Reading.

Charlotte recommends a poem that would make a great picture book ("Cargoes," by John Masefield) at Charlotte's Library.

Michele is in with a little Thomas Hardy at Scholar's Blog.

Nancy contributes some Whitman at Journey Woman.

Tricia shares "Birches," by Robert Frost, at The Miss Rumphius Effect.

Erin quotes from Loose Threads, by Lorie Ann Grover.

Jules puts together a great post on "resonating with usefulness" via the works of Haven Kimmel, Naomi Shihab Nye, and Marge Piercy at Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast.

Kelly Fineman takes Harold Bloom to task (and rightfully so) in a great Poetry Friday post.

Gregory K. contributes a funny original at GottaBook. (I'd love an emu clock!)

Wendy reviews Bing Bang Boing, written and illustrated by Douglas Florian, over at Blog from the Windowsill.

Mitali is SO NOT ALONE when she shares Shakespeare's take on winter at Mitali's Fire Escape.

Hooray! A new participant. lectitans contributes her favorite Shakespearean Sonnet, #29.

MotherReader shares the lyrics from 1985, by Bowling for Soup, for this Poetry Friday.

Hey, Katie from Pixie Palace is in and she contributes some of Cicely Mary Barker's Rose poems. I learn from Katie's post that today is "Middle Name Pride Day," a holiday I just can go in for, I'm afraid. Maybe if my name were Rose?

Els shares a wonderful friendship poem by Judith Viorst at book, book, book. (I'm sensing a new blog roundup happening this weekend...)

Becky at Farm School is back with "The Revolving Door," by Newman Levy.

Emily at Whimsy Books contributes "The Rider," by Naomi Shihab Nye.

Vivian contributes "Sally" from Flamingos On The Roof, by Calef Brown, at HipWriterMama.

Little Willow shares "Part Two: Nature: LXXXV," by Emily Dickinson, at Bildungsroman.

Yay! Jane Yolen is in with an original written in college--"Rhinoceros."

Monica Edinger uses podcasting in the classroom with the help of the poet Natasha Trethewey. Check out her students' poems. They want comments!!

What a fabulous gathering this week. A cup o' tea or a glass of wine to you all. Please let me know if I've missed your link.