Saturday, May 19, 2007

Weekend Reviews (I)

Happy Saturday, everyone! Thank you all for your poems, good wishes, and encouragement on my first flight lesson. Here I am in some sort of Piper plane. It was soooo scary and I am still figuring out if I have what it takes to be a pilot.

Now on to this weekend's early reviews:

Elizabeth Ward reviews two new books this week in the Washington Post--Freak Show, by James St. James Dutton and Delilah D. at the Library, by Jeanne Willis and illustrated by Rosie Reeve.

Amanda Craig takes a look at a whole crop of new pirate books for the Times

Well, it's happened. The Chicago Tribune book review section has moved to Saturday. Mary Harris Russell considers four new children's titles this week:

  • Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos, by R.L. LaFevers
  • Mother Goose's Storytime Nursery Rhymes, by Axel Scheffler
  • Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy, by Jane O'Connor, illustrated by Robin Preiss Glasser
  • Who Likes Rain?, by Wong Herbert Yee

I have two questions related to this column: a) Russell reviews only four titles here, as opposed to her usual six--is this the same in the print edition? and; b) can someone please explain the Fancy Nancy phenomenon to me?

More tomorrow...