Friday, June 22, 2007

Poetry Friday


Guess where I am today? That's right...Edinburgh!

When I was in 2nd grade I lived in Scotland and it seems I had to memorize a Burns poem a week. In fact, I remember Halloween and actually having to recite a Burns poem to earn a treat. So, in honor of Scotland and Edinburgh, here's a stanza from Robert Burns' 1786 "Address to Edinburgh":

Edina! Scotia's darling seat!
All hail thy palaces and tow'rs,
Where once, beneath a Monarch's feet,
Sat Legislation's sov'reign pow'rs:
From marking wildly scatt'red flow'rs,
As on the banks of Ayr I stray'd,
And singing, lone, the lingering hours,
I shelter in they honour'd shade.

Read the rest of the poem here.

Today's Poetry Friday roundup is happening over at A Wrung Sponge. Head on over and leave your links!