King Ocean's Flute, by Lucy Coats, illustrated by Peter Malone, is the Times Children's Book of the Week.
Amanda Craig tackles "junior rom-com" in the Times. (I got to read this in print first this weekend!)
Okay. The Chicago Tribune really must get their web book pages together. Jim told me there were reviews, but I could only find them by searching! In any case, Mary Harris Russell reviews the following children's books this week:
- Evil Genius, by Catherine Jinks,
- Kimchi & Calamari, by Rose Kent
- In Aunt Giraffe's Green Garden, by Jack Prelutsky, pictures by Petra Mathers
- Leaving the Nest, by Mordicai Gerstein
- The Strongest Man in the World: Louis Cyr, by Nicolas Debon
- When Gorilla Goes Walking, by Nikki Grimes, illustrated by Shane Evans
Katie Haegele reviews Young Adult fiction for the Philadelphia Inquirer. This week she reviews First Light, by Rebecca Stead.
ETA: Sonja Bolle reviews two new books for Newsday: The Longest Season, by Cal Ripken Jr., illustrated by Ron Mazellan, and Good Sports: Rhymes About Running, Jumping, Throwing and More, by Jack Prelutsky, illustrated by Chris Raschka.