Sunday, January 06, 2008

Weekend Reviews

Sorry for the late weekend reviews. I've been setting up a new laptop all day and you all know how that is: S-L-O-W. Anyway, things are moving now. I'm downloading audio files and finally have the time to catch up with what's in the papers this weekend. Here's what I've found:

Katie Haegele reviews Gakuen Alice, by Tachibana Higuchi, in the Philadelphia Inquirer. (Graphic Novel.)

Here's a good one I missed last week when on break: Liz Rosenberg reviews holiday and winter-themed books just after the holidays for the Boston Globe.

Profile Alert: Bob Thompson talks to Nick Hornby about Slam for the Los Angeles Times.

Mary Harris Russell reviews six new books this week for the Chicago Tribune, including:
  • A Kitten Tale, by Eric Rohmann
  • Runemarks, by Joanne Harris
  • Women Daredevils, by Julie Cummins, illustrated by Cheryl Harness
  • Frogs, by Nic Bishop
  • Naughty Cherie!, by Joyce Carol Oates, illustrated by Mark Graham
  • Maybe a Bear Ate It!, by Robie Harris, illustrated by Michael Emberley
In this week's not-a-review category: Olga Craig talks to Ann Kelley, who just won the Costa Children's Book Award for The Bower Bird, in the Telegraph. (A touching and inspiring story.)

Speaking of the Telegraph, this month's Family Bookclub pick is Cirque du Freak, by Darren Shan. There's lots of Shan-related info on the site. I have to admit that Shan's books are not my thing, but I fully understand what teens see in his books. They're fast-paced, exciting, and creepy.

Keith Gray reviews Malorie Blackman's The Stuff of Nightmares for the Guardian. (This one looks awesome!)

Susan Perren reviews five new children's books for the Globe and Mail, including a Henning Mankell I reviewed awhile back. (I had to order it from the U.K. I'm such a big Mankell fan, I paid the price for this one.)

Elizabeth Ward reviews picture books perfect for a snowy day in the Washington Post.

Cornelia Funke's Ingraine the Brave is the Washington Post Kids Post Book of the Week. (Anyone read this one yet? What did you think?)

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend.