Friday, March 14, 2008

Poetry Friday: Spring?


It just may be here: My favorite season of the year.

Serious melting has begun and it's time for sloshing through ice-laced puddles.

For me, Spring in Smalltown is a great joy. To go from the cold white to a multitude of colors--some breaking through before your very eyes--is a wonder I never experienced when living in the Golden State. I love the flowers, the greening of the grass, the warm air, and even the violent thunderstorms. Bring it on!

Mary Jo Salter's "Spring Thaw in Hadley" portrays the miraculous chaos of this time of great beauty. Here are a few lines from the poem:

By noon, the ice as thin
as an eggshell veined to show
life seeping yellow,
one’s boots sink in
with a snap; the sap
underrunning everything

may be nothing but water, yet
there’s a sacramental
joy in how, converting
to its liquid state,
it’s anything but gentle.

...you can read the poem in its entirety here at PoetryFoundation.org.

---------------------
Jama Rattigan is on the round up and asks you to share your favorite Bob Dylan lyric if you'd like. (Oops! Time to improvise...)

I'll share some lyrics from a Bob Dylan song I like very much, but don't really understand at all: "One More Cup of Coffee for the Road." This song just speaks to me, I wonder why?

Your sister sees the future
Like your mama and yourself.
You've never learned to read or write
There's no books upon your shelf.
And your pleasure knows no limits
Your voice is like a meadowlark
But your heart is like an ocean
Mysterious and dark.

One more cup of coffee for the road,
One more cup of coffee 'fore I go
To the valley below.

You can read the whole song here.

(I have no idea what this song means, but I like it anyway. The rest of the lyrics are even more opaque.)
---------------
Photos from FreeFoto.com