Tuesday, June 10, 2008

You'd think it's a weekend and other items of interest

Breaking news: The sun is out. It's been 40 days and 40 nights since I've seen it, so I'm going to post a few items of interest and then head out to boost my serotonin levels.

First things first: Frank Cottrell Boyce's Cosmic won't be out in the U.S. until July 30, but for some inexplicable reason it is available now on audible.com. If you listen to audio at all, I highly recommend this one. The narrator is amazing and Boyce does not disappoint. I'm not going to give away any secrets before my review, but let's just say there's a reason Amanda Craig calls it Boyce's "best yet."

Weekend Reviews? You'd think it was the weekend or something: Review columns and profiles are popping up early this week. Is Father's Day to blame? Here are a few links of interest:



Off-Topic: Mondrian has been on my mind this week ever since I read a post on his newfound popularity (again) in fashion at fashionista.

Mondrian's paintings have always appealed to me. I love symmetry and order, perhaps because I find instituting order in my life elusive. When I was a teen I bought a great Mondrian tote in London and carried it with me everywhere. I also had Mondrian posters and, I think, shoes. (Or was it a T-shirt?)

Well, Mondrian prints are back, Natalie Hormilla writes at Fashionista
. She begins her post with the following statement: "For reasons unknown, the Mondrian-inspired clothes just keep rolling in." I'd argue that the reasons are quite knowable. Namely, Mondrian inspires when times are uncertain. When times are stormy, and violent, and potentially life-threatening, Mondrian's clean lines and primary colors suggest order can be achieved.

ETA: Anyone's sitemeter stop, um, metering in the past 24 hours?