Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Snakes!


My young scientist has a new area of interest. Okay, it is not that new, but the most recent of his passions is the snake. Previous faves have included airplanes, sharks, fish, dinosaurs, and dragons.

Snake books can be breathtakingly dull, so I thought I'd suggest a few readable titles for those of you who must read snake books.

My preferred snake book is Jennifer Dussling's Slinky Scaly Snakes! Slinky Scaly Snakes! is a DK Reader, but it isn't so simplified to be boring. The text is snappy and it covers all the requisite snake highlights (molting, egg-eating snakes, constrictors). I may like it because it is short, but it is also a good read.

I also "enjoy" Christiane Gunzi's The Best Book of Snakes (lots of facts, good environmental message) and Dorothy Hinshaw Patent's Scaly Slithery Snakes (ill. by Kendahl Jan Jubb).

**Susan at Chicken Spaghetti recently recommended A Gathering of Garter Snakes by Bianca Lavies.