Monday, January 30, 2006

Wendy Wasserstein


Thanks to Susan at Chicken Spaghetti for the news of Wendy Wasserstein's death and the link to the Playbill obituary.

I have a true soft spot for Wasserstein's children's book Pamela's First Musical, which was given to my daughter several years ago from one of my sisters.

My sisters love musicals. When they were younger they were in a number of school and community productions and we often went to musicals as a family. I must admit, though, that I was the curmudgeonly one who never could stand musical theater (with the exception of The Sound of Music). The beautiful thing about Pamela's First Musical is that it describes a shared experience between a girl and her aunt, a sophisticated urbanite who adores the theater. The aunt takes Pamela to the Russian Tea Room and to a magnificent Saturday matinee. Pamela's First Musical is an exuberant take on falling in love with the theater. I have long awaited a sequel. Sad news, indeed.