Sunday, March 26, 2006

Reading for children as an adult

Katherine A. Powers discusses reading for children in The Boston Globe. She opens her essay with the following:
  • "Like the rest of my multitudinous cohort, so odiously called ''boomers," I like nothing so much as sitting around reading novels written for children. I don't think this is really a new phenomenon. People used to be able to get away with it without looking pathetic by reading aloud to actual children."

Powers defends her reading of children's books by describing what is so great about The Bartimaeus Trilogy (everything) and Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle.

I haven't read I Capture the Castle, but if it has been mentioned in the same breath as The Bartimaeus Trilogy, I will immediately.

(Note: X-ers read for children too!)