Friday, August 18, 2006

Poetry Friday: Jillian Jiggs


One of my all-time favorite rhyming books is Jillian Jigs, by Phoebe Gillman. The rhythm is fast-paced perfection and the illustrations are cheerful and full of good humor.

Jillian just can't clean up her room because there are always friends to play with and new costumes to create. Mom pleads with her daughter to pick up the mess, but Jillian tries to prolong the dress-up fun with her friends Peter and Rachel. (Jillian's baby sister dresses up as well, but in a poignant touch, she's always one costume change behind the big kids.)

Here's a sample from this wonderful book:

"Jillian, Jillian, Jillian Jiggs!
It looks like your room has been lived in by pigs!"
"Later. I promise. As soon as I'm through,
I'll clean up my room. I promise. I do."

Now, Jillian meant every word that she said,
But later the promise flew out of her head.
When Rachel and Peter started to shout,
Jillian had to, just had to go out.
******************************************
In perusing Phoebe Gilman's site, I discovered she passed away in 2002. Tragic.

Poetry Friday links to follow later in the day. ETA: MotherReader has rounded up the links. Head on over and check 'em out.