Thursday, August 10, 2006

Stolen Book Meme

Here's a new book meme I've stolen from the academic blogger world. I'm going to try to keep with children's books answers, though I'm going to have to deviate from that with question #3.

1. One book that changed your life?

Probably A Wrinkle in Time and The Phantom Tollbooth. Both books taught me that reading can take you to another, yet believable, world entirely.

2. One book you have read more than once?

I'm a re-reader, so I've reread most of my favorites many, many times.

3. One book you would want on a desert island?

War and Peace. It's long. I'm fond of most of the characters. I've read it many times already and its truths haven't dulled for me.

4. One book that made you laugh?

Most recently King Dork made me laugh out loud. Oh, and Happy Kid! by Gail Gauthier.

5. One book that made you cry?

Hmmm...This one thing is getting tough. Recently, though, Hugging the Rock, by Susan Taylor Brown, had me in tears, as did a classic, Good Night, Mr. Tom, by Michelle Magorian.

6. One book you wish had been written?

My mom recently found a book I had completely forgotten about. And, it was my favorite, most loved book for a time--The Secret Language, by (the) Ursula Nordstrom. I wish there had been a sequel to The Secret Language.

7. One book you wish had never been written?

Again, can't keep to one here. And, my choices may be controversial. First choice: Notes from the Underground, by Dostoevsky. Second choice? Help! Mom! There Are Liberals Under My Bed! by Katharine DeBrecht and Jim Hummel (I see there's a sequel to this one: Help! Mom! Hollywood's in my Hamper! I'll put that on the list too.)

8. One book you are currently reading?

Again, the one thing is difficult. I'm reading Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching series. I'm also reading The Tale of Cuckoo Brow Wood, by Susan Wittig Albert, and The Wrong Hands, by Nigel Richardson. I'm listening to Ali Smith's The Accidental.

9. One book you have been meaning to read?

Again, there are so many. But #1 on this list is Diana Wynne Jones' Fire and Hemlock.

10. Now tag five people:

I tag all you guys in the kidlitosphere. I can't wait to read your answers. I'll link up over the course of the next few days.
*******************
Laura Atkins at Tockla's World of Children's Literature (a new blog to the kidlitosphere) has posted a response. So has Wendy from Blog from the Windowsill (Horray for The Secret Language!) and Michele at Scholar's Blog.

Journey Woman joins in with the meme. Jen from Jen Robinson's Book Page is back in CA and has put up her meme. Stephanie from Children's Literature Book Club weighs in with her favorite and not-so-favorite (Love You Forever) books. Becky Levine posts her answers and I'm happy to find her site! And, Becky at Farm School has posted her meme as well. (Love You Forever appears again!)

Tasha at KidsLit is also in. Check out her comments. MotherReader has posted her meme and has some truly wise words about Winnie-the-Pooh. Little Willow has put up her responses to the meme. Check 'em out at Slayground/Bildungsroman. Susan at Chicken Spaghetti joins in the fun. And, Liz at A Chair, a Fireplace and a Tea Cozy has posted her meme answers. A Year in Reading has posted a double meme (with two responses to each)--there's a Children's Literature meme and Professional Books for Teachers. Patricia at It's All About the Book decided to answer the meme a second time, this time with children's books.

Gail Gauthier (whose Happy Kid! made me and Jen Robinson laugh [see #4]) has posted her answers at Original Content.

Lazygal takes the meme back to the adult world at Killin' time being lazy.

Kate S., one of my favorite bookbloggers, posted the meme way back in July (at Kate's Book Blog). I missed it, as it was posted during my unexpected internet outage in CA. Thanks, Kate!

Gregory K. at GottaBook responds to the meme, and Melissa Wiley responds AND takes a closer look at question #7 at Here in the Bonny Glen.
*********************
Thanks everyone for commenting. The comment to e-mail function doesn't seem to be working well, and technorati takes several days to register any links.