Friday, October 06, 2006

The Best Audiobook Ever

I adore Jim Dale and have truly enjoyed listening to the Harry Potter books because of his reading and voices. He's recently brought Peter Pan, A Christmas Carol, and Around the World in 80 Days to life as well.

But, the three books in the His Dark Materials series comprise the best audiobook series ever. I just relistened to The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass and I'm still reeling from my days in the car with Philip Pullman and cast. The Amber Spyglass, in particular, was a revelatory experience this time. All the threads came together, even the ones I found lengthy on first read and listen.

So, if you purchase an audio series for yourself or for a child (age 10 and up), I highly, highly recommend His Dark Materials. Philip Pullman narrates and a full cast reads the dialogue.
************************************************
I never thought I'd like audiobooks. But, I've found they have improved my quality of life dramatically. I previously found driving (I spend about eight hours/week on the road), cleaning, and running errands a chore. Now it's just more time to "read"!