Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Not-So-Favorite Classics

Fuse#8 asks the question that has occupied me since I was about eleven years old:

  • "What are the 'classic' titles you've never much taken to? I was an adult before Where the Wild Things Are elicited any kind of a loving response. Were there books you knew of as a kid that just didn't do anything for you, in spite of your fellow preschool brethern's adoration?

Like Leila, I liked just about everything up to a certain point. Until 11.

I was eleven when I picked up The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I remember thinking "This author has just force fed me a moral and I don't like it one little bit." I've always been stubborn, but I was really upset by this experience. Why? Because it was such a great adventure and I loved the book until the end. I felt used.

Now, again like Leila (sorry Fuse, your question is taking the wrong direction here as well!), there are many titles on my list.

  1. The Berenstain Bears. I didn't think much about these books until I became a mom. Now Mama Bear bothers me so much I refuse to read these aloud to my kids and make the grandparents do it instead. Mama Bear is such a know-it-all, I can't stand it. This may tell you more about me than about the Bears, but, still, there you have it.
  2. The Little Prince. I've never understood this book. Not as a child, not now.
  3. The Wizard of Oz. I've never enjoyed the Oz books and I really dislike the movie. (Sorry, J.L.!) I must admit, the Oz books are top on my list of "give-'em-a-second-chance" books.
  4. Nancy Drew. I read plenty of Nancy Drew mysteries as a child, but never loved them. I was highly annoyed by Nancy herself. Rich, spoiled, perfect. I was well aware she'd never deign to talk to someone like me. Also, I really hated, even as a skinny child, that Bess was always called "plump." I like the Sammy Keyes mysteries much better.
  5. Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates. Slow.
  6. ETA: I've already thought of another one, or series. Eloise. Especially Eloise in Moscow.

I'm sure there are more classic titles I've "never much taken to." I may add more later.