Friday, March 30, 2007

Poetry Friday and an apology


I'm so sorry for the lame posting this week. I've been on a quick deliver-children-to-grandparents trip, with no time for visiting, sightseeing, or exploring. Add to that unreliable internet and food poisoning and I've been worthless the past few days.

Usually when I'm in Southern California I get to go to restaurants, visit with friends or fellow bloggers, and go to supermarkets. (Not this time, though.) There's nothing better than an excellent supermarket in LA. I love to marvel over the fruits and vegetables, the fresh sushi selection, and foods from all over the world. Apparently I am not alone. Allen Ginsberg took a little trip himself back in 1955:

A Supermarket in California
by Allen Ginsberg

What thoughts I have of you tonight Walt Whitman, for I walked down the
sidestreets under the trees with a headache self-conscious looking at the full moon. In my hungry fatigue, and shopping for images, I went into the neon fruit supermarket, dreaming of your enumerations!
What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full
of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!--and you, Garcia Lorca,
what were you doing down by the watermelons?


For correct spacing and the rest of the poem, click on over to PoetryFoundation.org.

I hope to be back on my feet, blogging and traveling home tomorrow.
==============================
Susan at Chicken Spaghetti has this week's roundup. Head on over and drop her a comment.