Wednesday, April 04, 2007

I'm very worried about the New York Times

Recently "lifestyle" articles in the New York Times have been driving me crazy. I'd like to know whether or not I'm alone in my frustration. I know that my angst has nothing to do with children's literature, but it does have everything to do with children and their parents.

Here's the issue. All the "lifestyle" stories seem to be focused on wealthy, East Coast, urban life. I understand that the New York Times is located in New York City. But its readers are not, for the most part.

I'm always frustrated about the mom articles: should wealthy mother stay home with her children or send them to exclusive, competitive day care? But I understand that these articles have nothing to do with my life (a good life, to be sure, but not one with either option).

Two recent articles, however, have really upset me. They are:
  • Mommy and Daddy's Little Life Coach. (Let's not even get into the title.) How rich people turn to their children to save them from mom jeans or from stupendous real estate mistakes. As they would say in my era...gag me with a spoon.
  • For Girls, It's Be Yourself, and Be Perfect, Too. While on the one hand I felt badly for the girls under extreme pressure in this article, on the other hand I thought...let's be real here...you're not choosing between State School and the local Community College like the rest of the country.

Seriously, am I alone here? I'm close to abandoning the New York Times--a newspaper I've relied upon for at least 25 years.