Friday, July 06, 2007

Poetry Friday: Requiem for a Laptop


This week's Poetry Friday entry is an original. I promise it will be my last laptop-related post.*

Requiem for a Laptop

Brilliant white words dance
across a bright blue screen.
Memory and dump torment
like the pointy fingers of fairies,
plucking and thieving from
the heart of my mind.
Taking with them:
--syllabi and lectures
--overwrought research articles
--letters of recommendation
(long departed students, beware!)
--conference papers heavy in
their rhetorical cases
--three novels and the skeletons
of four more
--the audio files of children,
the fairies don’t care.
They’re beautiful, but cruel
as they knit their crowns resplendent
with the bits and bobs of
my Soulless P.C. Leaving me,
lumpen and pale, with
a mute carcass and
the Black Screen of Death.

================
* I finally received a replacement laptop. Status of my harddrive is unknown.

Over the next few days, I'll be catching up on e-mail, posting a review or two, and rounding up the weekend reviews. Thank you all for your patience!

================
Becky at Farm School is on this week's roundup. Head on over and leave your links!