Thursday, June 09, 2005

Unfinished Books.

Like many a reader I tend to finish reading most books I begin. I can count on one hand the number I have not read to the end. They include:

1) Umberto Eco, "Foucault's Pendulum." Okay, my philosopher friends (really!) love this one, but I gave up around page 190. I understand Eco is a great European scholar of the type no longer exists and I liked "The Name of the Rose" okay, but I found FP to be a tedious exercise in fictional semiotics.

2) "Infinite Jest," David Foster Wallace. This one I liked. A lot. For about 600 pages. Then I sort of figured I had got the point and stopped reading.

And now for number three: "Shadowmancer." I give up. I am not going to finish it. Instead I have picked up Jenny Nimmo's "Midnight for Charlie Bone." The first chapter is very promising.