Sunday, July 03, 2005

Summers are for Reading

Tomorrow we'll be taking off for London. And what is first on our to-do list? Searching out missing titles from my daughter's Enid Blyton collection. I know that Enid Blyton is not considered to be the most literary of children's writers, but I loved her series as a child and now so does my daughter. My favorite was The Famous Five series, while my daughter prefers the boarding school books (especially The Naughtiest Girl). We've acquired a few here and there in used bookstores and on ebay, but she has a list of missing numbers and is ready to buy (used, I hope, on Portobello Road).

Other interesting reading today: Henry Fountain's article "Summertime, and the Livin' Is Crazy" in The New York Times. We don't have any such opportunities in Smalltown. The grass is always greener, I suppose.