Tuesday, October 18, 2005

100 Best Novels in English

Time critics Lev Grossman and Richard Lacayo roundup what they find to be the best novels in English from 1923 to the present. And it is not a bad list, either, despite the fact there are only 2-3 children's books on the list: Are You There God, It's Me Margaret?, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and The Lord of the Rings. (I'm not sure you can call The Lord of the Rings children's literature, though many youngsters do read and love it.)

I was pleased to see most of my adult faves on the list--Ralph Ellison's The Invisible Man, Nabokov's Pale Fire, Ian McEwan's Atonement, Richard Ford's The Sportswriter, Jerzy Kosinski's The Painted Bird (a painful read, but great novel). I had a few quibbles re: specific works (Why Money and not London Fields? Why Under the Net and not The Book and the Brotherhood? Why Never Let me Go and not An Artist of the Floating World?), but otherwise not a bad list for a "top 100" list.