Wednesday, April 26, 2006

King Dork


Also, thanks to Book*&^%, a link to the Entertainment Weekly review of Frank Portman's King Dork.

I haven't reviewed King Dork because there have been so many good reviews (here's a great one at Bookshelves of Doom), but I just wanted to mention that this book rocks (and I'm not even a huge YA fan). I especially loved the "Catcher Cult," the legions of adult fans pressing The Catcher in the Rye on their students. Teachers, parents, acquaintances all telling the youngsters that The Catcher "changed their lives." I'm with the narrator, Tom Henderson, on this one. I've never thought The Catcher in the Rye is all that.

In any case, read King Dork. It's funny, dark, true-to-high-school (especially if you were a geek), and ultimately very touching. Oh, and the band names are hilarious.