Saturday, December 30, 2006

Weekend Reviews (I)

While we're waiting for The Cybils shortlists to go up on the 1st, I thought I'd return with the early weekend reviews and some book reviews this weekend. I've been on the MG committee and, so, know the results and am really antsy! I can't wait until they're announced.

I hope you're all having a wonderful holidays (or being thankful that they're over this year)!

Elizabeth Ward recognizes books "from 2006 that deserve a salute before the year closes" in the Washington Post. They include:

  • When Santa Fell to Earth, by Cornelia Funke, translated by Oliver G. Latsch
  • Startled by His Furry Shorts, by Louise Rennison
  • The Loud Silence of Francine Green, by Karen Cushman
  • Larklight, by Philip Reeve
  • Spirits That Walk in Shadow, by Nina Kiriki Hoffman
  • Jackson Jones and the Curse of the Outlaw Rose, by Mary Quattlebaum
  • Alpha Oops! The Day Z Went First, by Alethea Kontis, illustrated by Bob Kolar
  • Singing Shijimi Clams, by Naomi Kojima
  • The South Overlook Oaks, by John Reardon, illustrated by Chris Youngbluth
  • Ninety-Three in My Family, by Erica S. Perl

My new favorite author, Frank Cottrell Boyce, reviews Mal Peet's Penalty for the Guardian. (Let me just add here, that Framed is one of my favorite children's books EVER. If you haven't read it, you must.)

This review column is from last week, but I just can't let it go. Mary Harris Russell reviewed six new titles for the Chicago Tribune. They are:

  • Looking for Bapu, by Anjali Banerjee
  • Bunnicula Meets Edgar Allan Crow, by James Howe
  • An Abundance of Katherines, by John Green
  • This Jazz Man, by Karen Ehrhardt, pictures by R.G. Roth
  • Bear Dreams, by Elisha Cooper
  • When Daddy's Truck Picks Me Up, by Jana Novotny Hunter, illustrated by Carol Thompson