Sunday, February 11, 2007

Weekend Reviews (III)

It's been a slow week for weekend reviews, especially as the New York Times put theirs out there early. Here are the remainders:

African Beginnings, by James Haskins & Kathleen Benson, is the Washington Post Book of the Week.

Ottoline and the Yellow Cat, by Chris Riddell, is the Times Children's Book of the Week. (I can't tell you how much I hate the new Times web format. Talk about clunky! It's unbearable.)

Mary Harris Russell reviews six new books for the Chicago Tribune. They include:
  • Henry's Freedom Box, by Ellen Levine, illustrated by Kadir Nelson
  • The Snow Baby: The Arctic Childhood of Admiral Robert E. Peary's Daring Daughter, by Katherine Kirkpatrick
  • Cork and Fuzz: Good Sports, by Dori Chaconas, illustrated by Lisa McCue
  • Make Your Mark, Franklin Roosevelt, by Judith St. George, illustrated by Britt Spencer
  • Duck, Duck, Goose, by Tad Hills (I know I'm going to be in the minority here, but this one went on my black list [books I choose not to review]. It wasn't bad. But, it didn't live up to Duck & Goose. Illustrations are great, as previously, but there are simply too many words in this sequel. The story could have been told more simply.)
  • Horris Grows Down, by Shari Becker, illustrated by Valeria Petrone

I'm off to finish the Forest. Have a great Sunday, everyone!