Saturday, March 03, 2007

Weekend Reviews (I)

Happy weekend to one and all. I still have power, so it's a great Saturday to roundup the reviews.

Nigel Richardson (snarkily) reviews "teen thrillers" for the Telegraph. Titles considered include:
  • Desert Crossing, by Elise Broach
  • Dirty Work, by Julia Bell
  • Life As We Knew It, by Susan Pfeffer
  • Cathy's Book, by Sean Stewart and Jordan Weisman

Susan Perren reviews many a new book for the Globe and Mail, including:

  • Dog, by Matthew Van Fleet, photography by Brian Stanton
  • Grumpy Bird, by Jeremy Tankard
  • Stolen Voices: Young People's War Diaries, edited by Zlata Filipovic and Melanie Challenger
  • If I Die Before I Wake: The Flu Epidemic Diary of Fiona Macgregor, by Jean Little
  • A Rebel's Daughter: The 1837 Rebellion Diary of Arabella Stevenson, by Janet Lunn
  • The Higher Power of Lucky, by Susan Patron

Not a review, but I rather liked this little interview of Daniel Handler/Lemony Snicket by Jim Slotek in the Toronto Sun. In it, Handler admits to disliking some of the books his son likes. He says:

  • "'But what my son appreciates most is the presence of a train...I just wish I was as sure as he is about what automatically makes a good book.'"

Handler also discusses his writing plans in the interview for you Snicket fans.