Dexter Bexley and the Big Blue Beastie is the Times' Children's Book of the Week. (Reviewed by Nicolette Jones.)
Amanda Craig reviews two new teen thrillers for the Times: The Starlight Conspiracy, by Steve Voake, and The Spellgrinder's Apprentice, by N.M. Browne. Craig has this to say about The Starlight Conspiracy: "it's been a while since anything as much fun as Steve Voake's The Starlight Conspiracy came along. "
Welcome to The Bed & Biscuit, by Joan Carris, is the Washington Post Book of the Week.
S.F. Said reviews Darkside, by Tom Becker, for the Guardian.
Kate Murphy reviews Stephen Cole's teen thriller The Aztec Code for the Scotsman (in the Crime roundup).
Mary Harris Russell reviews six new children's books for the Chicago Tribune. They include:
- The Invention of Hugo Cabret, by Brian Selznick
- Feathers, by Jacqueline Woodson
- The Tinderbox, by Hans Christian Andersen, retold by Stephen Mitchell, illustrated by Bagram Ibatoulline
- Clancy the Courageous Cow, by Lachie Hume
- Lightship, by Brian Floca
- Tough Boy Sonatas, by Curtis L. Crisler, illustrated by Floyd Cooper