Friday, December 07, 2007

The Golden Compass: First Report


My first-year seminar (Literature, Intertextuality, and Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials) students and I took a little field trip this afternoon to see The Golden Compass. I think our views on the film are all different and mixed. But, there was one shared moment, one I hadn't anticipated after reading multiple reviews and articles on the movie.* When the movie ended and the screen went black there was a collective "WHAT?" from us all (and several other members of the audience). I mean, seriously. What did you think of the ending?

---------------

*For a full record of articles, check out Monica's educating alice. She's been collecting them the past few weeks under the tag "Waiting for Lyra." Thanks, Monica.
----------------
In the deluge of articles on His Dark Materials, the "weirdest HDM article" award goes to Emily Bazelon's consideration of His Dark Materials and Flowers in the Attic in Slate. Again, seriously. Go read it. Then let me know what you think. I, personally, am still reeling from its conclusions (?).