Sunday, December 16, 2007

Weekend Reviews (I-II)


I'm so sorry the weekend reviews are late and will be clumped into one long post. But I have an excuse you'll all understand. I thought I'd start on my holiday reading for just a few minutes even though I still have homework, papers, and exams to grade. Well, turns out Joshua Henkin's Matrimony isn't a book you can just pick up and read for a few minutes. Several hours later and I had finished it. If you're a fan of beautifully written domestic fiction, then don't miss Matrimony.

Here we go:

The CBC is back with recommendations for older kid readers on "Sounds Like Canada" this week.

Lauren Daley recommends holiday classics for
South Coast Today.

Stephanie Dunnewind recommends wintry children's books written by Puget Sound authors in The Seattle Times.

In this week's not-a-review category, Kathryn Hughes tells us about
Randolph Caldecott's picture books which have just been reissued. A fascinating article.

Peter F. Neumeyer reviews four picture books that "are every bit as rich, surprising, or beautiful for an adult as for a child" in the Boston Globe.

Top Five children's audio is recommended in the Guardian. Also in the Guardian: a list of great books for children (not all from 2007); and "the pick of the year's children's picture books."

Sonja Bolle reviews children's holiday books for the Los Angeles Times. (Checking my calendar. Yep, it's December 16. It's about this time of year I wish the holidays were already over. Bah Humbug!)

Kids are reviewing books in the Los Angeles Times once again.

It's children's book weekend this weekend in the New York Times. Here's what's on offering:
Elizabeth Ward reviews four new books this week in the Washington Post, including The Black Book of Secrets, by F.E. Higgins.

Do Not Open, by John Farndon, is the Washington Post Kids Post Book of the Week
.

Mary Harris Russell reviews six new children's books in the Chicago Tribune
.

Katie Haegele considers "Inanimate Alice" and publishing in
The Philadelphia Inquirer.

-------------------
I haven't commented all week on Terry Pratchett's announcement. I find it so terrible, so sad, so reminiscent of what happened to another of my favorite British writers, Iris Murdoch. Keep yourself healthy, Mr. Pratchett! We'll be pulling for you.