Friday, January 11, 2008

Poetry Friday: Czeslaw Milosz

I really love poetry about poetry and the act of writing poetry. For some reason the meta- aspect of the poetic act appeals to me.

Today's Poetry Friday comes from Czeslaw Milosz's "Ars Poetica?":

The purpose of poetry is to remind us
how difficult it is to remain just one person,
for our house is open, there are no keys in the doors,
and invisible guests come in and out at will.

What I'm saying here is not, I agree, poetry,
as poems should be written rarely and reluctantly,
under unbearable duress and only with the hope
that good spirits, not evil ones, choose us for their instrument.

Isn't that wonderful?

You can read the rest of the poem here at Poetry Foundation.org.
------------------------------
It's time to get a few hosts on the schedule. If you'd like to host Poetry Friday in February or March, please drop me an e-mail or a comment.

Today's round up is at The Book Mine Set.