Friday, January 25, 2008

Poetry Friday: A late entry

It's been a busy week, full of lots of interesting graphic novel discussion--graphic novels and literacy, graphic novels and storytelling, graphic novels and collaboration.

So, imagine my surprise when I found "The Poem as Comic Strip" series at PoetryFoundation.org. As you know, I'm fond of the poetry finder at PoetryFoundation, but I had never stumbled across this series. Today I did when studying poems concerning snow. (We've been under the white stuff for two months now and it's only January 25!)

Take a look at the first two stanzas of Kenneth Patchen's "The Snow is Deep on the Ground":

The snow is deep on the ground.
Always the light falls
Softly down on the hair of my belovèd.

This is a good world.
The war has failed.
God shall not forget us.
Who made the snow waits where love is.

read the rest of the poem here
.

Beautiful, no?

Now, take a look at the same poem with comics by Ron Rege, Jr. (Scroll down and click on slide show.)