Saturday, July 26, 2008

Weekend Reviews (I)


This year's summer hiatus draws to an end. By the time Weekend Reviews (II) will be posted, I'll be in Smalltown again. In the meantime, let's get started on the early links:

Um, dudes--Oprah.com has a "Kids Reading List"? Actually, rephrasing now: It will be up August 1. Will this change everything?

Audio alert: Eleanor Wachtel talks to Philip Pullman for CBC Radio!

More top 10s from the Guardian: Michael Rosen's top 10, Cornelia Funke's top 10 bedtime stories. (Ah! All these top 10s are coming up because the Guardian has redone its Books website.)

And speaking of the Guardian, can I just say that every time I'm in the U.K., I'm both happy and sad at the same time. Why? I'm happy 'cause I'm reading (relatively) great book coverage and sad 'cause there's nothing comparable in the States. Nothing.

Susan Faust reviews bear books in the San Francisco Chronicle. Also in the Chronicle, Reyhan Harmanci reviews Ten Mile River, by Paul Griffin.

From the Candian Press, books for the youngster's beach bag
.

More tomorrow!

----------------
Beautiful dessert from a dinner in Gigondas. I don't even like watermelon, and I ate every single bite of this dessert, including the sugar thing on the top. Wonderful.