Saturday, August 23, 2008

Weekend Reviews (I)

It looks like it is going to be a busy children's book weekend in the papers, so I thought I'd get the roundup started early this week. Here's what I've found so far:

John Sutherland considers animal protagonists in adult literature for the
Times. (Reference to children's lit in the article. I have to admit I have a bias against animal lit for both children and adults.)

On children's literature review: Jonathan Bate reviews Seth Lerer's Children's Literature: A Reader's History from Aesop to Harry Potter in the Telegraph. (I plan on reviewing this one soon too.)

Amanda Craig reviews vampire books for teens, including Breaking Dawn.

Bringing Jacob Two-Two back: James Bradshaw has the scoop at the Globe and Mail.

Interview alert: Sonja Bolle talks to Jon Scieszka for the Los Angeles Times.

Megan Cox Gurdon takes a look at election books for the kids in The Wall Street Journal. (Conclusion? "Electoral politics may be surpassingly interesting in the adult world, but in children's books, mostly, they're not really that much fun.")

More reviews tomorrow...