Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Rodman Philbrick

Stephanie Loer interviews writer Rodman Philbrick for The Boston Globe.

Philbrick is, as Loer tells us, "a longshoreman, a carpenter, and a boat builder and is currently an avid fisherman." In addition, he is the author of Freak the Mighty, Max the Mighty, The Young and the Sea, and other novels for children.

The Boston Globe will be running a Philbrick story in the Life and Style section beginning next Tuesday (free registration required). The story, ''The Tinycawlers," "is set on an island off the coast of Maine and features a young boy who discovers his heritage and the surprising history of his family."

Philbrick is a prolific author, who has written for adults (under different names) and children. Here's what he tells Stephanie Loer about writing for kids:
  • "I will always write for kids. It helps keep my imagination young, even as the rest of me gets creaky. I'll never forget how that first sentence, spoken by Max in Freak the Mighty, suddenly came to mind: 'I never had a brain until Freak came along and let me borrow his for a while, and that's the truth, the whole truth.'"